Friday, October 11, 2013

Senior Primary Display: A Blast from the Past

Now that I've taken this display down in preparation for our next one, I've finally found time to put the pictures up here! This theme was Blast from the Past, a broad sweep through history and a good chance for me to see what find of historical fiction (and non-fiction) we have. As always, click on the pictures for a big version.


As you can see, we have dinosaurs, pyramids, music records and a variety of people from the ages. The music records are a very old part of our collection, I guess that we have about 20 of them. I have no idea of they still work, as there is no access to a record player to test them out. For now, they are decor. 


A closer view of the plastic toy dinosaurs, kindly loaned to me by a friendly grade 1 teacher. 


A close-up of my amazing hand-drawn dinosaurs. The design was taken from a fabulous teacher online somewhere, but I'm impressed that I was managed to reproduce it to such cute effect. These have been laminated and kept for another day. 

I have a feeling that this display, theme-wise, wasn't as big a hit as the animal theme. The students just seemed less interested in the variety of historical fiction (what do you mean, you don't want to read about the London Blitz?!). I've heard that historical fiction can be a hard sell to students of this age group, so I'm not too worried.

My next display will probably be one for Halloween, I've been working on the components. It isn't a big holiday here in South Africa, so my students are amused by the novelty of it and have been helping me out by creating art for decorating purposes.

Prizegiving is coming up at our school, wrapping up the year before final exams start. I've been given the job of arranging the printing of all the certificates, for both junior and senior primary (400+ students). Hopefully I can do it in good time and without it becoming a big stress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment