Wednesday, May 08, 2013

My first ever library display!

As I'm sure you can imagine, things are crazy at the moment. Even though I'm only a part-time teacher, there's enough prep-work, admin and sorting-out-the-library-work that it's always possible to stay busy. I managed to enjoy last weekend: I didn't think about any work at all. Being able to switch off has always been one of my weaknesses, ever since I started teaching, so I'm continuing to work on that.

Good things that happened today:
  • I completed my first ever library display! Compared to the amazing displays I have seen online, it's quite modest - but I'm quite proud of it, and hope that the Junior Primary (Gr 1 - 3) will enjoy it from tomorrow. Since I don't know our collection very well yet, I had to manually go through each shelf to find theme-appropriate books. At least doing that helped me improve my knowledge of the collection! Take a look (click to see full-size pics):


  • I found three books (2 Roald Dahl, one JK Rowling) that we had thought lost. Yay! They've returned to their place on the shelves.
  • The Grade Rs came for their first ever library visit. We hope to be doing more in the future.
  • I introduced the second Grade 7 class to the concept of shelving the 826 (English Fiction) books according to the first three letters of the author's surname. Each girl got a book to re-shelf  Some girls enjoyed it so much that they asked to help me re-shelve the rest of the returns! They have got a little star next to their names on my potential student librarian candidates...

No comments:

Post a Comment